Located within the centre of the Bathurst Central Business District, just behind the famous courthouse, Machattie Park was formally opened in December 1890. Machattie Park is situated on the site of the old Gaol c.1847, which was demolished in 1888 to make way for the park.
A lovely late 19th-century Victorian country-town park with restored buildings such as the Fernery, Band Rotunda, Begonia House (in bloom from February to Easter), Caretaker's Cottage (c.1890), Crago Fountain, Lake Spencer and the Munro Drinking Fountain.
The park was named after Dr Richard Machattie, an early doctor who served several times as Mayor and was leader of a group who fought to have a park on the site. Machattie Park is bound by William, Keppel, George and Russell Streets.
A number of memorials have been erected since the park was built. These include the Lewins, Webb, Griffin and Busby Gates as well as the lily pond in memory of Dr John Brooke Moore.
A plaque in the park commemorates the visit to Bathurst of Charles Darwin in 1836.
Bathurst Town and Around Website
Bathurst NSW one of eighteen regions in the Highway West, family of NSW Town websites.