Hill Endwas among the greatest of Australian goldfields and in its heyday more than 200 companies worked fabulously rich reefs. At the time of the gold discovery in 1851 Hill End was known as 'Bald Hill' and named 'Hill End' in 1862.
Apart from the Royal Hotel there are a number of B&B's, cottages, camping grounds and the Hill End Ranch where as well as accommodation and a restaurant they have Educational Tours taking you back to the gold rush era.
For many years Artists have found Hill End and its historic countryside a great place to paint. Now there are quite a number who have either made the village their home, have a studio there or visit regularly.
Hill End is an important historic site being a well-preserved goldmining ghost town. Most local buildings are managed by the National Parks & Wildlife Service as a ‘Historic Site’ of national significance.
In 1872 what was, at the time, the world's largest specimen of reef gold - the 'Holtermann's Nugget', weighing 285 kg and measured 150 cm by 66 cm with an average thickness of 10 cm.
After this the town grew to over 8000 people, making it one of NSW's largest inland towns with a kilometer plus of shops, five banks, two newspapers, a brewery, 27 hotels - all doing well - now the Royal Hotel (1872) is the only one remaining.
275km from Sydney and 870m above sea-level you travel to Hill End via Bathurst. From Bathurst either travel through Sofala (approx. 80 km), Turondale (approx 70 km) or follow the scenic route which follows the Macquarie and Turon Rivers called The Bridle Track (approx 60 km).
Hill End Historic Buildings Open Days are a rare chance to view ten unique buildings constructed in the 1870s. Visit humble miners' cottages, Hosies' Store, St Paul's Church and the historic residence Craigmoor with its original furnishings. Also on view are the former homes of artists' Jean Bellette and Donald Friend. An intriguing diversity of restoration and conservation throughout the village.