Abercrombie House (1870-78) is one of our finest stately homes. A 3 storey, 40 room mansion built in the Scottish Baronial style. It is located on the first land grant west of the Macquarie River, issued in 1827 to William Stewart who was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of NSW in 1824.
Abercrombie House surrounded by formal gardens features a stepped slate roof with Dutch gables, bull's eye windows topped by ornate finials and is externally built of local granite with the round tower having a spiral iron staircase. Inside there are 29 fireplaces, a ballroom, seven staircases, lots of cedar and a parquetry floor.
Check with the Visitors' Centre in regard to tours.