The Bathurst Courthouse (circa 1880) faces Russell Street and is Neo-Classical with an octagonal Renaissance dome. It was designed by colonial architect James Barnet and is superbly situated in the heart of the city.
Bathurst's most distinguished public building, it is regarded by the National Trust as 'one of Australia's finest examples of Victorian public architecture'.
The entire structure is 81 metres long and 45 metres wide.
Opened in 1877 the wings were originally the postal and telegraph offices but nowadays the west wing is occupied by the Central Western Music Centre and the east wing by the Historical Society Museum. Its collection includes Aboriginal artefacts.
Bathurst Historic Court House. Russell Street, Bathurst, Central Tablelands NSW Australia
Bathurst Town and Around Website
Bathurst NSW one of eighteen regions in the Highway West, family of NSW Town websites.